.......You get the picture.
Pauline was always making jam, canning pickles, baking bread, making pies, cooking a roast, etc. and I would just sit there and make my pot holders out of the stretchy fabric and my spiky square loom. That is where it started. And here is where I am today... I have uprooted my entire family (husband and two sons) from just outside of Washington, DC to about 2o minutes away from Linesville, PA where I grew up.
We didn't have to leave our high powered careers to make the shift, so don't think of me as a martyr or anything. But it has been quite a journey. The first step was convincing my husband, London-Born-City-Boy, Joe, that it was a good idea to sell the house that we built from the ground up, leave the only home that he and I had known together and leave the only friends we really thought we had. That took five years.
Then we had to sell (FSBO) the 6700 sqare foot McMansion house we built - right when the real estate market collapsed. That took a year.
Then we had to organize a move, purge 10 years of crap, hire movers, take mulitple UHaul trips and get the boys in their new schools. That took four weeks.
WHY? I've wanted a farm for so long that I can remember being teased in high school about it. Today, after reading every single book by Joel Salatin, Animal Vegetable Miracle, The Omnivore's Dillema, books on mules, books on chickens, books on the Family Cow, books on ducks, books on turkeys, jerkys, orchards, seed saving, sustainable living, financial freedom, radical homemaking...and so many more. I have subscriptions to "Grit", "Mother Earth News", "Mary Jane's Farm", "New Pioneer Living". (sigh)... we are now in Meadville, PA renting a TINY house from a crazy landlady and I still haven't found my farm yet...OK our farm... well - my farm.
It will come. And as things progress, I will fill you in.
No comments:
Post a Comment