Monday, April 16, 2012

George and Gracie Quackers - Teen Ducks Rebel

L to R - George, Gracie
Remember when... it seemed just like yesterday that I held them in the palm of my hand.  The little fuzzballs w/ the sweet peepin' as the kids and I stared in awe.   It is amazing how fast these little ducks are growing.  I must confess, they got a little wild and spent their first night out last night.  It was so beautiful out, I couldn't pass it up.  I had them in an extra large dog crate for protection...then I got to thinking tonight, about raccoons and weasels, and every other kind of predator that may be sitting at our wood line licking their chops. So I went out at 9:45pm and brought them back in the house.

Ducks are like pubescent boys after football practice - HOLY SMOKES THEY STINK!  Ducks are just not supposed to be in the house.  But, we don't have a barn so here they are - in the laundry room.  I clean out their litter daily, but even that just isn't enough.  So - they have been spending a lot of time outside lately.  Don't look at me like that.  They are practically of drinking age!  Look - they're even getting their grown up feathers!!

You can see they are already getting little lovey w/ each other.  Clearly teenage ducks.  At this stage, they are probably at 4.5 weeks old.  We need to wait until they are fully feathered before letting them out into the pond.  They sit there and look at it longingly.  Visiting with other ducks that are more fly by night and learning how to find their inner quack.  It's all a coming of age thing.  You parents know what I'm talking about.

No comments: