Tuesday, April 10, 2012

OY, my ACHIN' back!


(i.e.) shovel dirt, shovel sand, shovel peat, sigh and say, "this will all be worth it", repeat.

I never knew that putting in an orchard would be such painstaking work. Did you know that nearly everything revolving around planting an orchard involves a shovel of some sort? AND... I bet you didn't know that it also meant bending over, kneeling down and begging your children to help you.  Found out they'd rather climb trees.  I'D rather climb trees than plant them at this point.

So far we have 15 trees in. Trees is kind of overstating things a bit - they're more like twigs. I walk down to the "Orchard" w/ a sense of pride and accomplishment. I know that every piece of fruit that feeds my great grandchildren will be because of the work that the boys and I have done. Then I see the seven holes yet to be filled w/ a tree and swear silently to myself.  I'm sure the generations to come will love climbing in the branches of the orchard, picking apples, peaches, cherries, pears and plums like I did when I was growing up next to Harry and Pauline.  Maybe they will even get to walk into a house that smells like fresh baked apple pie.  I hope I'm around to see it - hell, I hope I'm making that pie.

Below is the near finished first round of the orchard.  I don't want to spend any more money before I figure out if I killed them while transplanting them.  I do have three Asian Pears that are waiting for me at the nursery.  I suppose I can plant a couple more.  Sigh.

So the thing that just gets me in the picture below is that the trees are SO DARN SMALL - you can't even see them.  Thank God for the tags on the trees or it would just look like an empty field.  HA!

You can't see it, but there are 17 trees planted.  I swear it.  If you squint you can see them.  

2'x2' holes were dug then I got to do the rest.  Thank you Johnny!  :)





No comments: